Tuesday 29 September 2009

Devil's Coach Horses and other country delights

The newspapers have been full of warnings of record numbers of spiders preparing to invade our houses this autumn. I can announce that they have well and truly arrived in Sussex and they are looking in rude health.

However, there is another insect that seems to be gathering its troops in numbers far greater than the simple arachnid. It is black and lethal (to snails, earthworms and spiders that is). This rather sinister-looking creature is called a Devil’s Coach Horse. It squirts a stinking brown fluid from its mouth and anus when provoked. And it bites. It munches its prey to a pulp. The record number of spiders moving in to my house must be enticing it inside as I’m finding the devilish creature everywhere. As I was rooting around in the long grass earlier I even found one eating a dead robin’s eyeball.

I’m doing my best to live in peace amongst all these carnivorous creatures now that I’m a country girl, but I only seem able to sleep at night if my face and body are completely covered by the duvet. This means coming up for air at regular intervals which is proving somewhat disruptive to my beauty sleep. Oh well, you only live once as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment